[TriLUG] Cert Question

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at att.net
Thu Sep 12 10:11:21 EDT 2013

On 09/12/2013 07:38 AM, Z-man wrote:
> Hi All,
> Long time reader, rarely post -
>
> I have a pseudo management question (sorry) - which Linux certification do
> you respect if you see it on a resume?  Or have the Linux certs gone the
> way of many others and just become papers for people without skills?

Z-man:

I took the Comptia Linux+ test(s) for one reason: I was working on a DOD
contract that required it.  The gov requires hurdles to be jumped before
you can work on their servers.

The Comptia test was tougher than it looked.  Yes it is extremely broad,
and yes it does not test ability beyond rote memorization.  And yes,
everything it requires you to have in your head can easily be looked up
- if you have access to a working system.  But there's nothing wrong
with having that knowledge, especially if you are visiting a work site
where you may not have web access (or even a functioning computer).

None of the test questions were difficult for a person who has a solid
grounding in maintaining a Linux system on a small network, as long as
you come prepared.  Most of them were very carefully worded to sift out
the pretenders.

A side benefit of the Comptia cert is that once you have passed it, you
automatically qualify for two other certifications: LPIC-1 and Novell
Certified Network Administrator.  So you get three pretty papers for the
price of one.

Like others have said, the RHCE is much more comprehensive and requires
demonstrated ability, not just memorization.  But it is also very Redhat
specific.  If you need to support Debian it's not as helpful.  If you
like the certification route, I'd take a close look at the higher level
LPIC certifications <http://www.lpi.org/linux-certifications/programs>
levels 2 & 3.  These require hands-on capability and are not as
distribution specific.

I think that these certs will provide an edge on your resume, as long as
they validate the kinds of skills that you want to pursue.

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote
Cary, NC USA