[TriLUG] looking for linux solution similar to openbsd's authpf

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Sep 15 23:13:42 EDT 2013

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 18:12:52 -0400 (EDT)
Dewey Hylton <plug at hyltown.com> wrote:

> my google-fu is lacking, though all my searches to date have included
> the authpf keyword so i'm likely excluding all the right answers.
> recommendations?
>
> pretty much all my firewall expertise from the past 8-10 years
> involves openbsd's pf, so i assume there's a lot to catch up on in
> the iptables world ...

Hi Dewey,

I'm a Linux guy through and through, but to me, iptables is so
inscrutable that my firewall/router/NATter is an OpenBSD machine
running pf, dhcp server, and ssh server useful in pinholing from
outside to my desktop.

I would never again go back to an iptables-based solution unless there
were some reason I just couldn't run an OpenBSD/pf firewall.

Thanks,

SteveT