[TriLUG] FreeNAS vs DIY

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Mon Sep 16 08:33:43 EDT 2013

I use CentOS with LVM across multiple drives. It is an older Intel2Core
Duo, 6GB of RAM and I run the following services:

Samba, NFS, ssh on ports different than the defaults. I have an older
Cisco/Linksys NAS that I use as a mirror.
Bacula
KVM (dev servers for various projects)
squid/dansguardian for proxy and web filter.
rsync for database backups

At one point I used this machine for bind, but now I use a different
machine for VPN and bind.

I looked at FreeNAS, but went with CentOS as I'm more of a RHEL guy.

HTH,
-Roy