[TriLUG] Jtag & sheevaplug

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Thu Sep 19 10:34:33 EDT 2013

Bill

Thought you might be one to reply to the email. Thanks for the info. I have
managed to re-install the u-boot portion of the sheevaplug using it's jtag
and openocd. If it weren't for a website instruction, I would not have
known how to do it.

Now if only someone has the CD for sheevaplug. I didn't even realize that
one came with until recently. Looked through all my 300 old cd's and could
not find it and don't remember ever getting it.

jcj

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Bill Farrow <bill at arrowsreach.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM, James Jones <jc.jones at tuftux.com> wrote:
> > I am attempting to learn about openocd & jtag. At present I am doing this
> > with a sheevaplug which has jtag built in.
>
> I was really impressed with the Sheevaplug usb jtag.  You could
> overwrite the flash, brick the device and recover it using just a usb
> cable and openocd.  More devices should do this.
>
> > I may want to progress to using an external jtag adapter. What should I
> > look for in these device. Mind you anything I purchase will be
> economical.
>
> These come in a variety of prices, compatibility, and speed.  You can
> use a Bus Pirate (~$30) with OpenOCD to program flash devices over
> jtag.  Not fast, but fast enough. Dangerous Prototypes also has a Bus
> Blaster which is faster.
>
> At the other extreme: At work I use an Abatron BDI3000 for board bring
> up.  The device is network connected and can act as a GDB server to do
> hardware breakpoint debugging. Unfortunately it costs around ~$1500
> and only supports a single CPU arch at a time. Firmware to support
> extra CPU architectures cost an additional ~$1000.
>
> Bill
> --
> This message was sent to: jc jones <jc.jones at tuftux.com>

Jc Jones