[TriLUG] Linux SBCs and self-guided remote control vehicles

R Radford rradford at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 27 22:27:14 EDT 2013

Definitely stop by to see the triangle amateur robotics group, which has
recently merged with the Southeast NC IEEE Robotics and Automation
chapter.  Grayson Randall, the current chair of the R&A meeting was the
lead designer of one of the DARPA robotic land vehicles for 3 years in a
row, and is owner of Insight Racing (robotic vehicles).  There were several
Linux based computers in that project.

Also in the TAR side of the meeting, one person built a computer lawn mower
about 20 years ago - a major task at that time, and another person is
currently designing/planning one - no construction yet.

There has also been chatter on the NC nearspace list about gliders from
80k+ high, but that is just early discussion with no design.

On the Black Sky Telemetry group there is someone who is interested in a
Linux based hexacopter that will be self guided, and has already started
some of the construction and software/hardware control work.  In addition,
I also fly Raspberry Pi systems on nearspace balloons, taking photos,and
controlling an APRS link, amateur TV video link, and a WiFi link, as well
as taking lots of telemetry readings.

So if you can provide a few more details about what intrigues you, or what
your goals are, perhaps we can set you up with the right
person/people/group.

I'm on all the groups listed, and in addition to my nearspace RPi project,
I have also put Linux on several smaller robots involved in building
surveillance and room mapping/path planning,  I am also interested in
meeting and chatting with anyone who has a great Raspberry Pi project in
mind, and interested in building it and writing about it.