[TriLUG] Have A Job

Aaron Thomas at at pirate96.com
Thu Nov 7 12:18:48 EST 2013

Folks,

I have been hosting with WebFaction for years thanks to this list.
Figured this might be useful for someone as they use CentOS servers and
are hiring for Support Engineers to work remotely.

We currently have openings on the following shifts:

    US shift: ~4PM GMT to ~2AM GMT
    Asia shift: ~12AM GMT to ~10AM GMT

All shifts are 5 days on, 3 days off.
Job Activities

You will be the be the first line of contact for our customers,
primarily via our online support ticketing system but also on our blogs
and forums. Your job will be to answer their questions, fix their
problems and generally leave them with a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

This is a real problem-solving position. Sure, there are some common
questions and problems, but we've eliminated most of them through
documentation and systems improvements. That means that most of the
questions that you will deal with are unique problems which require real
thought and creative troubleshooting, and not just a standard
boilerplate response. We need someone who will enjoy attacking a problem
and applying whatever technical skills are needed to provide a solution.

You'll also perform customer service duties such as setting up new
accounts, canceling closed accounts, and responding to pre-sales
inquiries.

You'll be well-supported while you're learning about our systems but
this is a telecommuting position so you will need to be able to work
under your own initiative, learn quickly, and be the sort of person who
can find answers and ask for help when you need it.
Requirements

    Excellent customer service skills, a friendly demeanor, and genuine
desire to help solve customers' problems.
    Excellent command of written and spoken English
    This position is telecommuting only. You must have your own place to
work from including permanent and reliable Internet access.
    Must be self-motivating.
    Familiarity with Linux systems. You don't need to be an expert but
you need to know the basics of working at the command line, and be
willing and able to learn more beyond that.
    Flexibility with regards to your working hours. This position may
include some work outside of normal business hours and at the weekend.

Bonus Extras (nice to have, but not required)

    Experience with troubleshooting Linux systems including tools such
as Nginx, Apache, Postfix, etc.
    Experience with database systems such as MySQL or PostgreSQL.
    Experience with one or more web development frameworks or tools such
as Django, Rails, Zope/Plone, WordPress, Drupal, etc. (This is not a
development position, but we do support customers who develop with these
tools.)

Salary

This is an hourly position. Your hourly wage is based on your location
and experience.
How to Apply

Send an email to jobs at webfaction.com to tell us a bit about yourself and
to explain why we would be absolutely mad not to hire you. Please use
the name of the position for which you're applying as the subject, and
attach your CV or résumé in PDF, HTML, RTF, or plain text format (no
Word documents please).