[TriLUG] November 14 Meeting: Cryptography and GPG

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Thu Nov 7 16:46:55 EST 2013

Topic: Cryptography and GPG
Presenter: Sean Alexandre
When: Thursday, 14th November 2013, 7pm (pizza from 6.45pm)
Where: NC State Engineering Building II Room 1021, Centennial Campus
Parking: The parking decks and Oval Drive street parking are free after 5pm
Map: Google Maps
Video: Hangout OnAir (during the meeting)

http://trilug.org/2013-11-14/crypto

=== Abstract ===

Cryptography has been in the news a lot lately. We'll start with a
quick overview of some of the major recent headlines, specifically
about the NSA's attempts to circumvent and break encryption and what
experts are recommending to stay as secure as possible online. This
will be followed with a high-level overview of cryptography. We'll
look at where it's been made easy to use, and were it's not so easy.
Then we will dig into the details of using GPG from the command line,
to encrypt documents and to verify software packages.

=== Bio ===

Sean Alexandre is a Senior Software Developer at SAS Institute, where
he's been working on different front-end applications for the past 12
years. Lately his interests have been on Linux and free software, with
a focus on distributed systems and defensive security.

=== Keysigning and Infrastructure Workshop ===

There will be a Keysigning and Infrastructure Workshop on Saturday 16
Nov 2013 if you want to sign keys.
  http://trilug.org/2013-11-16/workshop

=== Sponsor ===

MetLife Global Technology & Operations (GTO) is committed to
delivering innovative solutions and infrastructure that help enable
MetLife to deliver a world-class customer experience. We focus our
global talent and resources on working to exceed customer
expectations, while also trying to anticipate their needs. We're
working to leapfrog the industry, in a dynamic work environment that
fosters creativity, growth and collaboration.

With our new Global Technology hub now under construction in Cary and
our team ramping up in the Research Triangle area, MetLife is
recruiting world-class technology talent, and is actively hiring a
diverse, global and highly skilled workforce.

For more information about MetLife's Global Technology & Operations
(GTO) and to learn about open positions that are currently available,
visit us online at http://metlifegto.com/