[TriLUG] attaching to remote X session (_not_ VNC)

Kevin Hunter Kesling hunteke at earlham.edu
Mon Dec 2 18:32:21 EST 2013

Hello TriLUG,

As a matter of (currently) academic curiosity, does anyone know how to
attach to an already running remote X session?  Or, put differently,
since X is oriented around an X server (generally the "desktop"), and
clients that draw to it (e.g., Firefox, Gimp, Xournal, /any/ GUI
program), is it possible to redirect (or copy) what the remote X server
is receiving to a local one?  Or some combination, like redirecting a
single application to another X server?

Every time I google something like this, I come up with solutions like
"use VNC" which is not what I want.  I specifically want an X solution
that dynamically changes or copies where visual output goes and from
where events are received (like keyboard and mouse).

A potential scenario:

   1. I leave a GUI editor open on a machine while at work.

   2. I go home, and realize I forgot to save some buffers.  I want
      to save those buffers, so that I can continue working where I
      left off tonight.

To put any workarounds out-of-mind, the exercise is to redirect the GUI
to my now-local X so that I can interact with it -- without
killing-to-reopen any applications, or opening new instances.  (Perhaps
this GUI editor does _not_ have scriptable command line interactions
like "--save-unsaved-buffers".)  Put differently, the application should
be oblivious to the fact that the image it is sending to X is going
elsewhere.

Again, I'm specifically curious if this is possible with X alone, rather
than using a workaround like VNC.  In my academic curiosity, a tool that
tells the X client to change where it's sending data is fine, so long as
it's not a service-based workaround like VNC, and does not require being
run before one realizes they want to connect remotely.

Does this make sense?

Kevin