[TriLUG] Frontier doing packet inspection?

Craig Cook cncook001 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 9 12:21:22 EST 2013

>> What is Frontier getting out of proxy-ing my http connections? (I assume they
>> aren't doing it to benefit me.)
>
>if it was for my benefit, they'd be charging me extra.

One reason to use proxies is to save bandwidth. (If you are charged for the amount of downloads, you have an incentive.  Also, you may be able to use a smaller pipe, also saving costs)

Another, it is usually faster to return results from your local cache.  Not all content can be cached though.

When you setup a proxy, you need to know why.  There are many different reasons.

Craig