[TriLUG] best home router for voip prioritization

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Dec 27 17:44:58 EST 2013

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013, Dewey Hylton wrote:

>>> my initial thought was to just build her a little openbsd firewall
>>> on the alix platform (these see a lot of use at my customer sites)
>>> and

to me asking to fit a real router into a RAM restricted wifi box is asking a
lot. I use the wifi boxes as bridges; they are just a piece of ethernet cable
with a wifi gizmo on the end.

For my home router, I'm using a real computer (a 75MHz 486) with 3 ethernet
cards.

o one goes to my dsl router which is running in bridge mode

o one goes to my admin node in the DMZ

o one goes to the wifi boxes which provide the connnection for the users

the router has vpn, dns, dhcp, squid, iptables and rrdtool. It's also the house
httpd. If I wanted to handle SIP, I expect I could do it there.

Joe