[TriLUG] best home router for voip prioritization

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Dec 30 09:18:32 EST 2013

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013, John Vaughters wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I used to do that to Joe, but I just got tired of dealing with old hardware,
> not to mention the power costs. I find getting a decent low cost, low power
> refurb router and loading *WRT to be sufficient for my needs. I understand
> that it does not do all that you are doing, but for the cost you are spending
> in electricity you may find it makes more sense to pay for a decent router
> with a linux load will do most what you want and the rest can be done behind
> the firewall with more recent hardware that you are probably already running.

yes all good points.

The thing is that the setup is up and running, I haven't had to do anything with
it since I set it up (at least 10yrs). Even the disks seem to last 5yrs or so. I
have uptime measured in years. The only time they come down is for backup. The
marginal cost savings in electricity with moving to newer gear are small
compared to the time I'd spend to set it all up again. Being 75MHz, power
consumption is small.

If I was doing it again from scratch, sure I'd do it your way and I'd chuck the
squid.

Joe