[TriLUG] Choosing a new home computer

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Mon Jan 6 08:50:50 EST 2014

The box I'm using now is one I bought used about five years ago, and it's
having trouble displaying Ubuntu. It'll display in "default" mode, but
when Ubuntu tries to use specific aspects of the display processor it
fails.

So I'm thinking, "New machine time!"

 From what I can see the new brand-name boxes at Intrex are hardly more
expensive than the asking price for five-year-old boxes on craigslist.

My specific question for my TriLUG friends is: What current processors or
configurations are particularly dis-recommended?

Also, the brand-name boxes at Intrex seem to come with Widnows 7 or 8
installed. Any thoughts? I can't see the use of having it. I've got XP on
a flaptop and hardly ever use it.

Any other good advice I'm forgetting to ask about?