[TriLUG] Choosing a new home computer

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 09:24:03 EST 2014

Peter,

Consider buying a build it yourself system from Tiger. Of course as it goes, the cheap systems have cheap components, so stay away from the bottom deals. But if you would rather it be built already, Tiger probably has pre-built boxes too. If you just like Intrex, then talk to them about taking the OS cost off the prices. I have had them drop prices at Intrex by talking about competition.

I have built two computers from Tiger in the past two years. Both computers are running AMD Phenon II, ie not heavy duty, but cost effective. I only use the basic included MotherBoard video and run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on one and Fedora latest release on the other. I have not have any issues other than normal new release type bugs on Fedora. Ubuntu still kinda new, but it is a stable version and I also only run it in 2D mode so I can use NX, but I did not have any trouble in 3D mode.

Hope this helps.

John Vaughters