[TriLUG] Choosing a new home computer

Zac Durham zacdurham at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 11:23:06 EST 2014

Can I inquire more about the cubox without hijacking this thread?
Discussion on small embedded machines like this are relevant to the OP's
question, I suppose.

I have been looking at similar devices the past couple weeks. While I'm
excited to discover the cubox I'm equally concerned there are others, yet,
that I might be overlooking. Dewey, were there others you were looking at
before settling on the cubox? What were the deciding factors?

Thanks,

Zac

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Roy Vestal <rvestal at trilug.org> wrote:

> We built a system using a  new mainboard i3, 4GB RAM purchased from
> Intrex. I reused the case and power supply. Total cost: $250.00. That was
> with the TriLUG discount! :D
>
> If you are not aware folks, ask at your local Intrex if they honor the
> TriLUG discount. I go to the one in Cary off High House Road. Just show
> them the membership card and you can get up to 5% off.
>
> -Roy
>

> On 1/6/14 8:50 AM, Peter Neilson wrote:
>
>> The box I'm using now is one I bought used about five years ago, and it's
>> having trouble displaying Ubuntu. It'll display in "default" mode, but when
>> Ubuntu tries to use specific aspects of the display processor it fails.
>>
>> So I'm thinking, "New machine time!"
>>
>> From what I can see the new brand-name boxes at Intrex are hardly more
>> expensive than the asking price for five-year-old boxes on craigslist.
>>
>> My specific question for my TriLUG friends is: What current processors or
>> configurations are particularly dis-recommended?
>>
>> Also, the brand-name boxes at Intrex seem to come with Widnows 7 or 8
>> installed. Any thoughts? I can't see the use of having it. I've got XP on a
>> flaptop and hardly ever use it.
>>
>> Any other good advice I'm forgetting to ask about?
>>

> --
> This message was sent to: Zac Durham <zacdurham at gmail.com>
> options/trilug/zacdurham%40gmail.com

Zac