[TriLUG] Laptop Backpacks...

Carl Crider c.crider at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 10:18:01 EST 2014

I travel nearly every week; heading to RDU in 2 hours actually.  :)

Last year, I used a pack from Mobile Edge, and was very impressed with the
quality of the bag. They have a line
of "TSA Approved" packs for quick security line checks. It was a great bag
all around, and handled the load you
are describing. They have a lifetime guarantee on their products as well.
> Pro: Comfortable, adjustable (I am a big guy and this is important),
tough as nails, water bottle pocket.
> Con: When full of tech gear there is limited space for "extras" like
hat/scarf/light jacket, etc. No rain cover.

www.mobileedge.com

Last month, I switch to a much larger pack, due to the amount of tech gear
I need to carry. I bought the 18" Titan bag from Everki.
This thing is a beast; in all the good ways. The only con is that it is so
big, I bring a small roll-up day pack (Eagle Creek) with
me for walking around the city. We mostly work in NYC, so it's nice to not
carry a giant bag on the subway, shopping, etc.
I'm extremely impressed with the Everki bag already. To be honest, I beat
the cr*p out my backpacks, and these 2 companies
had me in mind when they designed their gear.
> Pro: Very comfortable, 2-way adjustable straps (shoulders), tough as
nails, water bottle pocket w/lanyard, HUGE capacity, pockets
for everything, and comes with it own rain cover.
> Con: Not your general every day walking around to-and-from office type of
bag.

www.everki.com

Note: One of my workmates uses a Swiss Gear Smartscan bag, and loves it.
Depending on your budget, this may fit your needs.
My suggestion (opinion) if getting one of these is to replace the metal
zipper pulls with cord-type pulls (REI sells Chums). This way
you don't sound like Santa's sleigh when walking around.

I considered writing a complete list of what I carry, but I've typed enough
and I have to finish packing.
Email me off-list if you want to know the gritty details.

Happy Travels!

~Carl