[TriLUG] Laptop Backpacks...

Steve Burnett burnett at pobox.com
Thu Jan 9 13:25:34 EST 2014

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014, Chris Knowles wrote:

> Since I've been seeing lots of product recommendation stuff come through
> here... thought I'd ask this one that I've been wrestling with for awhile.
> It's related to stuff we all do.
>
> I'm looking for a new laptop backpack.  I've got a couple of 15" laptops
> that will be taking turns riding in this - so that's minimum size, though
> as you'll see in a minute, I've not had trouble hitting that bar.
>
> I'm also looking for them to be able to handle the laptop, cables, tablet,
> general work stuff. (pens, usb keys, a notepad)
>
> AND travel - preferably 1-2 days clothing able to fit in there.  Hence the
> laptop size not being a problem.
>
> So, anyone have a bag that fits these requirements that they enjoy?
>
> CJK

Brands I like these days (far too much time spent on
http://www.carryology.com/ ):

Tom Bihn
http://www.tombihn.com/

511 Tactical
http://www.511tactical.com/

Oakley - partly because the large Oakley store in Crabtree Mall allows me
to see packs without having to order and return the disliked ones.
http://www.oakley.com/store/collections/mens-bags-backpacks

Goruck - the Tough Mudder packs. Just added messenger bags a couple of
months ago. Durable as anything. Some clean line designs, the
MOLLE/tactical/spec ops look may not go over well in every work
environment.
https://www.goruckgear.com/

Arcteryx
http://www.arcteryx.com/

Kifaru
http://www.kifaru.net

Mission Workshop - Name from Mission District of San Francisco.
http://missionworkshop.com/

Narrowed down for price/performance/features/flexibility, I'd probably say
Tom Bihn, 511, Goruck, Oakley.

best,
Steve