[TriLUG] Do a lot of you program in Python?

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Mon Jan 13 10:45:55 EST 2014

Thanks Randy, that was a nice talk that I somehow missed. Explains things
nicely. It's kind of sad that he spends all this time talking about how to
remove the *overhead* of the GIL, just to get things to run as well
multi-threaded as single-threaded, not even touching any actual parallelism
when CPU-bound.

The take-away seems to be: don't try threads for anything but the most
IO-heavy non-realtime applications.

Igor