[TriLUG] a python question

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Tue Jan 21 11:25:24 EST 2014

Greg,

Have you checkout out Sentry (https://getsentry.com) already? Not saying
that you shouldn't build the home grown version (it can be fun and
cheaper), but Sentry is pretty magical in what it does. If you use even 25%
of its functionality, it would be worth it.

I understand what you are doing and it makes sense. I am not familiar with
Web2py, but FWIW Django and Flask are both really nice frameworks if Web2py
doesn't work out for some reason. The biggest reason I continue choosing
Django over anything else is that they tend to be very conservative with
breaking backwards compatibility, while still improving the framework
steadily.

As for graphing, you might want to see if you can do some visualizations on
the client side, in the browser. There are lots of JavaScript based
charting API's. The advantage here is that the charts will be interactive.

Also, checkout out Celery (http://www.celeryproject.org/) and Django Celery
(http://docs.celeryproject.org/en/master/django/first-steps-with-django.html)
for a nice background processing job system. If you are doing anything
outside of a web request (things that take longer than a few milliseconds),
but are triggered by web pages, Celery is almost always the answer (vs
using cron or a home grown solution).

Best of luck,
Igor

P.S.: I just re-read Francois' response about cProfile. It's a very useful
module, but probably overkill for what you are trying to do. You don't need
profiling data for every function call you make, just the timing of some
specific functions.