[TriLUG] open ports on Uverse 2wire gateway

James Jones jc.jones at tuftux.com
Mon Jan 27 19:20:47 EST 2014

All,

I contacted UVERSE tech support on Friday and was told there were NO
OPEN PORTS on the IP Address. My own subsequent nmap scans & Gibson
research's Shields up scans saw the same open ports that were
indicated by Security Metrics.

Today I called UVERSE tech support again. This time the tech that I
talked to saw the ports that I indicated as open. Difference in
training? Difference in my explanation?? Who knows.

I also mentioned that 2 of the three open ports were on my UVERSE box
at home. The tech is getting a live tech to come out and check things
out. the support person indicated that they most likely replace the
box.

What tomorrow may bring?? We shall see.

jcj KK4VUS

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jan 2014, James Jones wrote:
>
>> ***** WinXP box ----- Router/Modem ----- Internet
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Router & Modem are in one box that UVERSE calls a Gateway.  Wifi is
>> turned off. No forwarded ports open according to the Gateway software.
>

> can you put your modem into bridge mode? (You should be able to.) Then the
> device on the outside won't have a routable IP for your ISP to connect to.
>
> Joe

> jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant map
> generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml
> Homepage http://www.austintek.com/ It's GNU/Linux!
>
> --
> This message was sent to: jc jones <jc.jones at tuftux.com>