[TriLUG] Home server recommendations

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Fri Feb 7 11:20:32 EST 2014

Ideally I am looking for a used, already built tower, minus the hard-drives
and the RAM. I was not considering Atom's because I thought they wouldn't
be able to handle the fairly CPU-hungry ZFS. I don't have Plex transcode
video on the fly, but usually just use avconv or mencoder to get it in the
right format first. And yes, power consumption is a concern, though not the
primary one. Ideally, I'd like something that's not sucking out 12 amps
idling, but I realize that I am not looking at a Raspberry Pi here, so
maybe something in the range of 80-120 Watts idling would be great.

My alternative is to forgo ECC RAM and just look for any old "economy" or
"media" PC tower and build on top of that. There are plenty of those going
around, but before I go that route I really wanted to see if someone found
a good server class box they use for a NAS.

Thanks,
Igor