[TriLUG] Name server

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Sat Feb 22 19:39:03 EST 2014

Coding practice is one reason. I can use this as an opportunity to learn more about the innards of DNS.

Practically, I run bind9 on my home server so I already get most of the benefits, except that because of the particulars of my network and the crappiness of my ISP a request can take either 40ms or 1200ms to resolve: a noticeable amount of time on any given web page. Seeing as most of the domains I visit have a TTL on the order of hours I could easily speed up the perceived speed of web browsing at my house by making sure that most DNS request are resolved from a local cache. The goal here is not to just have a caching server, but to actually never let it expire by making a request before it does.

An alternative approach I considered was to scan bind's logs and just make frequent request based on that, say once an hour. However, then I would not learn much and the approach would not be nearly as foolproof.

Igor