[TriLUG] Name server

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Sat Feb 22 22:03:59 EST 2014

I am definitely leaning towards not making it a full recurser. I did start it in Python a couple of hours ago and currently have a working caching stub resolver using python-libdns. You are right, the way to determine the most frequently used domains is the interesting part of this. Having already gotten to the point where I can handle requests and responses I can actually get this data very easily.

Yes, I am very familiar with Celery, though for my current approach it will not work.

I am going to see if I can actually use this thing for my whole LAN tomorrow. If it works, I was planning on re-writing the first prototype in either Go or Rust, languages I do not currently know, to lose some of the overhead of Python. Go is probably going to be a better fit as it is not nearly as new as Rust and is almost as low level.

Thanks for the advice,
Igor