[TriLUG] Ford Drops Windows for their Sync System

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Feb 24 14:17:55 EST 2014

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 10:38:03 -0800 (PST)
John Vaughters <jvaughters04 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I do not want anyone to confuse this as anti-windows, because I am
> rooting for them to straighten out. I learned on Windows and it was
> the low cost alternative of computing in the 1980's. I am just making
> objective observations to drive my predictions. Microsoft is more
> vulnerable than anytime I have ever seen. The winds of change are in
> the air. New CEO and Bill Gates becoming an active member again. The
> decisions in the next year or two will be interesting.

I would like nothing better than for Microsoft to go bankrupt. Before
we all don our "life's a technocracy and I just use the best technology
for the task at hand" hats, consider the destruction Microsoft has done
to the marketplace:

* DR DOS: What could it have become?
* Netscape: What could it have become?
* Wordperfect: What could it have become?
* Proven guilty of illegal antitrust behavior
* Microsoft's Allchin, Mundie and Balmer calling for congressional help
  in squelching Linux
* Secure boot, especially non-removable secure boot in ARM machines
* Lots more dirty tricks I can't even remember

When Microsoft won in the marketplace, they didn't win with a better
product, better prices, or better service. They won with monopolistic
dirty tricks. Microsoft is a dangerous company, apparently to their
very core, originating from Gates, and I fervently hope they either go
bankrupt or become a niche player. Open Source will be safer when that
happens.

SteveT