[TriLUG] Debian Sid/Unstable

Ken MacKenzie ken at mack-z.com
Thu Feb 27 11:22:43 EST 2014

I kind of gotten away from spins a while back and I find myself preferring
the "core" distro as much as possible.  That is kind of my main hesitation
sometimes with CentOS.  I don't know why I just feel better about that.
When it comes to some of my own machine OS choices I am starting to
question if my decisions are logic or emotion based.

Anyway the reason this started is lately I have been having AUR issues.  As
in I am just using more and more from the AUR.  So I got a touch lazy and
said instead of doing that by hand why not just go ahead and use packer.
The thing is I am just noticing more and more upgrade issues with some
packages done that way.  So I ponder could debian SID be a better choice.
Maybe worth a try.  I have been happily on Arch for 2-3 years now on all my
workstation machines.  Haven't used Debian in a while but Debian was one of
my first distros back about 14-15 years ago.

I got a VM set up with Wheezy right now and I will test with that and add
the packages and see what I see.  I really like staying with rolling
release as it just works well for me.  And I like my software new and I am
not afraid to get my hands dirty.  However there is something to be said to
not always having to fix things every time I want to do something.

I really haven't distro hopped in a while, maybe I am just feeling stagnant
for no good reason...