[TriLUG] Debian Sid/Unstable

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri Feb 28 12:03:56 EST 2014

> On (2): Debian also seems to do a good job of patching security holes
> when
> fixes become available. It would be harder to do this if the hole had
> to be
> patched in multiple places.

You might have noticed that the latest iPhone iOS 7.0.6 update was a
pretty
small download, but when it rebooted the phone, it went through a very
long
process (Apple logo with progress bar line under it), and then it
rebooted
the phone a second time.

My Mac did something very similar after this week's OS update, which I
assume
had the same SSL fix.

My guess was that it included a script that scanned the entire
filesystem,
looking for multiple copies of the faulty SSL libraries and replacing
or
patching them.  I should have done a comparison of the day before's
backups
against the day-after's backups.

A Debian system would not need to do this, because all of the packages
rely
on separately-installed libraries that bind at run-time.

Alan