[TriLUG] TWC "Existing Customer Promotion"

Nathan Yinger npyinger at ncsu.edu
Thu Mar 13 18:53:32 EDT 2014

'TWC is not a Utility by plain virtue of the rampant and consistent growing
competition. Meaning little restrictions to the market.' -
What??!?!!!?!??!!!

I live in Raleigh, right next to NC State, and until a few months ago the
only company that offered hi speed internet was Time Warner.  (Dial-up does
NOT count, and cellular is not much better). AT&T recently started offering
up to I think 6mbps, but that is not exactly 'rampant' competition. I there
actually were any competition, I would have been able to switch providers
two years ago when Time Warner refused to fix my internet for over a week.
Instead we have a market where a monopolist can offer poor service at high
prices, then leave it unrepaired with no explanation, and still keep
customers who don't have a choice.

~Nathan