[TriLUG] TWC "Existing Customer Promotion"

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 14 09:48:38 EDT 2014

Ok let's be straight here, I never said I am happy with TWC, just they are no a utility. All I heard was how successful they were at cornering their market with the Gov to get their product placed. If that is what makes them a utility, then we have to reclassify a ton of HUGE corporations in our society.

- Not a single person touched on the fact that price per Mbps has plumeted.
- Not a single person ever admitted they could call the city water or electric company and get a promotional discount
- I have never seen TWC cable forced to provide service to rural areas. Utilities do have to do this.
- Rampant and growing competition
   1. DSL always been there, and TWC upgraded to fiber and blasted DSL out of the water. ie they were competitive
   2. Verizon has offered 4G for close to 2 years now. It works great and we even had people using it becasue it was faster than their office ISP
   3. Clearwire been around for years, now part of sprint. I tried it years ago, it worked great everywhere except at my house. Not perfect but good for some.
   4. Data Satellites have been upgraded and now have 12Mbps service for reasonable prices
   5. RST fiber expanding rapidly
   6. Google Fiber a possibility
   7. Digital TV has been around forever
   8. Cell phones have been around forever

I am sure I left out some, but I hope that we can all agree:

- We have a very healty competition in the communications market
- Prices have dropped significantly over the years for Phone, Data, and TV services (Consider content imporvements on this calculation)

- TWC is required to provide service to rural areas

TWC is nothing remotely resembling a Utility. Not in any shape, form or fashion.

Sorry for rattling everyones cage, I am done now.

John Vaughters