[TriLUG] TWC "Existing Customer Promotion"

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Mar 17 10:57:25 EDT 2014

This thread seems to have drifted primarily towards concern over the Rent
Seeking and Regulatory Capture behavior of ISPs.  If we treat internet
service as a utility, which implies we regulate a single monopoly provider
or have the state provide internet service directly, do you think there
will be more Rent Seeking behavior, and a higher likelihood of Regulatory
Capture, or less?

Background reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent-seeking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulatory_capture

Aaron S. Joyner

PS - Spoiler alert!  My take on it is that more control by the government
leads to more potential rents to be earned, which shifts the incentives
such that rent seeking provides a larger competitive advantage that
innovating...