[TriLUG] Memory upgrade problems - brainstorming

Steven Tardy sjt5atra at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 21:59:03 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Steve Holton <sph0lt0n at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Dell Optiplex 780 with 4G of ram (2x2G) I'm trying to upgrade to
> 16Gb (4x4Gb)
>
> I purchased four DDR3 PC3-1600 -- 4Gb modules

crucial.com has a great tool to find ram specs for a given system.

what is the exact part number / specs of this part? could be numerous
things(voltage/buffered/ecc/chip-size/spd/etc). without comparing the new
dimm specs to the specs of ram built/certified for that computer it's hard
to say if it's compatible and why it's not compatible. typically a faster
frequency dimm will operate fine at a lower frequency.

what bios version does the system have?