[TriLUG] Procmail-only e-mail address

Brian Henning bhenning at pineinst.com
Tue Apr 1 09:34:54 EDT 2014

Hi Y'all,

I'm wanting to set up a mail sink that receives and processes "contact us" e-mails into a CRM database.

I'm figuring I can use procmail to feed e-mails with the right "To:" header to the parser.

My question/curiosity is about how to set it all up without a "real" mailbox, because I think Postfix won't even get as far as handing off to procmail if it doesn't recognize the recipient address, right?

I figure I could:

1) Forget about it and just create an account
2) Alias "contact" to root
3) ???
4) PROFIT!!!  (sorry, just couldn't help myself)

So yeah, I'm wondering about other options that will tell Postfix "yes, accept mail for this user [and feed it to procmail]" but without having an actual user that exists.

Ideas?

Thanks!
~Brian