[TriLUG] Recover deleted video from SD card?

Nathan Yinger npyinger at ncsu.edu
Sat Apr 26 22:43:59 EDT 2014

Hello,

After sending a Raspberry Pi up on a weather balloon and getting some very
nice video from the air, I turned the Pi on again and my startup script
overwrote the video file. Does anyone know how I could recover the lost
video?

The file is an h264 encoded video from the 'raspivid' program, and is
stored in an ext4 partition on an SD card. The file is 13GB, and the whole
partition is 30GB. I've tried photorec, but it didn't seem to find the
video. I've never done any data recovery before, so I'm a little lost on
this...

Thanks,
~Nathan