[TriLUG] Dear FCC

Sean Alexandre sean at alexan.org
Fri May 16 13:01:34 EDT 2014

I just filled out this form, to tell the FCC what I think about net neutrality:
https://www.dearfcc.org/

Part of the custom text I added was:

"Content providers already pay for bandwidth to access the Internet. Similarly,
I as an ISP consumer already pay for bandwidth to access the Internet. How that
bandwidth is used by content providers or consumers should not be dictated by
ISPs, especially since ISPs have what is effectively monopoly access in most
markets."

This seems like pretty sound and simple logic. ISPs have what is effectively
a monopoly and so now they're trying to tighten the screws, by restricting
access for something others have already paid for [1,2].

Anything I'm missing?

Here's an interesting article, comparing the artificial scarcity Enron created
to drive up electricity prices to what ISPs are doing with bandwidth:

Yes, Your Internet Is Getting Slower: "Yes, Your Internet Is Getting Slower
Your provider likes it that way. And the government doesn’t care."
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/05/network_neutrality_dinosaurs_like_time_warner_and_at_t_have_nothing_to_worry.html

And here's a recent article with some evidence of this:

Level 3 claims six ISPs dropping packets every day over money disputes: Network provider doesn't name and shame ISPs guilty of "permanent congestion."
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/05/level-3-claims-six-isps-dropping-packets-every-day-over-money-disputes/