[TriLUG] FCC may step in to pre-empt TWC like legislation

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Thu Jun 12 08:52:31 EDT 2014

This article will be of interest to many on this list:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/06/state-laws-deprive-americans-of-broadband-internet-fcc-chairman-says/

"FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler has spoken several times about how he plans to
preempt state laws that limit municipal broadband networks. In 20 states,
there are legal restrictions making it tough for cities and towns to offer
Internet service to residents."

"So what will the FCC do? "I believe that it is in the best interests of
consumers and competition that the FCC exercises its power to preempt
state laws that ban or restrict competition from community broadband.
Given the opportunity, we will do so," Wheeler wrote."

I say that one can only hope they move sooner rather than later.