[TriLUG] FCC may step in to pre-empt TWC like legislation

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Thu Jun 12 11:45:16 EDT 2014

> On Thu, 2014-06-12 at 11:02 -0400, Gary Carr wrote:
> but trying to stay focused on broadband, I doubt there are many people
> in Wilson who would agree with you.  Can any corporate provider match
> their service/price?  In Cary my only choices involve paying more for
> less.

On average, Americans pay more for less internet service than most other
countries.  And that is in the areas that even have service.

I am in the process of buying property in a rural part of Chatham county
and getting internet service is a real concern that I have.  I will be
happy just to have cable as an option.  Coworkers who live in the Siler
City area tell me that satellite is their only option and it sucks.

Companies like TWC have bought legislation that locks out public sector
competition.  Now they appear emboldened are are engaging in even more
questionable practices like charging popular providers and limiting their
access.

If they were able and willing to provide competitive services this
wouldn't be necessary.  They know that the public sector can kick their
ass and this threatens their juicy near monopoly profits.