[TriLUG] Web server Research question

Greg Woodbury redwolfe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 02:38:05 EDT 2014

On 07/06/2014 11:33 PM, Brian McCullough wrote:
> Good Morning, All.
>

> I have a question that I have been trying to research lately, and not
> having any success.
>

> Has anybody ever encountered, or accomplished, a web server being able
> to force a browser to ask where a file is to be saved.
>
> I always tell Firefox that I want to be asked, in its settings, but the
> default is to just automatically save files "somewhere."  Some ( a lot
> of ) people have no idea where that somewhere is, and so the file is
> lost.
>

> I want to force the user to choose where to put a file.
>
> Has anybody found any HTTP, or other, way to do this?

All the browsers I am familiar with use a "Downloads" folder as the
default location for storage.  They also have a "setting" for changing
the default location (like Firefox has).  There is one browser I've
encountered that default to the working directory it was invoked from
(perhaps a webkit browser under LXDE?)

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there may be a way to tell most
browsers to invoke the file chooser when downloading, but I'd have to go
re-read the specs at W3c

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury
redwolfe at gmail.com