[TriLUG] Vbox guest OS choices

Ken MacKenzie ken at mack-z.com
Thu Jul 10 09:46:50 EDT 2014

So I have been trying to kill out the use of hardware windows installs in
the house.  It has been an issue mainly because of a printer/scanner combo
(lexmark X75) that will just not cooperate with linux.  Yes I know I need
to get a new printer, but hey it works and ink cost is still reasonably low.

So anyway to mitigate this I have been using a Windows 7 install inside
virtual box.  I am using the oracle repos for it, linux version is Debian
Wheezy.  Windows 7 version is ultimate incidentally.  The other reason I
went this route is itunes for my ipad to sync if needed.  I am phasing out
ipad use at some point most likely so this may become moot.

Anyway, and I hope I am not violating any rules since this discussion
starts to enter the violating EULA for the OS in question...  What about
virtualizing OS X.  I mean I know it can be done but I am wondering if
anyone has experience for the performance of OS X vs Windows 7 virtualized
through Virtual Box.  I know OS X is only to be installed on Mac hardware.
 Just wondering if anyone has tried this out and what their results were.

Ken