[TriLUG] Vbox guest OS choices

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 10:18:34 EDT 2014

I used VBox is install OSX as a guest, mostly just to see if it was
possible. It is. However, the performance was crappy. There were
problems with the mouse. The pointer jumped around the screen. One
reason I wanted to try it was to use Messages.app for iMessage access.
Turns out that Messages.app uses your hardware serial number as part of
it's registration and the OSX guest doesn't have a valid serial number.
The Messages.app running on the OSX guest would not connect for
iMessage. Anyway, it is possible to create a OSX guest, but usability
sucked for me. Oh yeah, this was done on a MacBookPro8,1 running Ubuntu
12.04 as the host.

Ken