[TriLUG] location-specific SMTP problem

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Mon Jul 21 14:49:42 EDT 2014

My initial thought is that the ISP is blocking email traffic except to
known white listed servers.  Running traceroute, along with NMAP and
possibly trying to establish some telnet sessions should answer this.

Mentioning the apple products and TLS jumped out at me.  I know from
experience, e.g. an IPAD Apple doesn't follow the standards for TLS and
port 25 and instead prefers to use the submission port or SSL.  I had a
lot of trouble getting the IPAD to work with Postfix - Dovecot based email
server.

I would also recommend doing some DNS tests, such as running NSLookup and
trying to retrieve the MX records.  Make sure that this isn't causing
problems.  Speaking of DNS, make sure you don't have a dud resolution
occurring (e.g. poisoned cache or simple error).

The fact that it seems to be provider specific really suggests to me that
something is being filtered.

If you can coordinate have him try to connect and see if anything shows up
on the server logs at the same time.  Ultimately, this is how I came to
identify the issue with Apple products and email protocols.