[TriLUG] location-specific SMTP problem

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Mon Jul 21 16:06:13 EDT 2014

I mentioned that he said can send via other SMTP mail servers on port 25.
Therefore, I had ruled out port 25 blocking.

But I went back to double check his settings, and they were NOT configured
to use port 25 as he reported.  They were set to "Default (25, 465, 587)"!

I told him to go home and force his mail client to send email via the other
server (GMail) using port 25.  If it fails with that other server on 25,
then we will have found the problem.

I'll report back tomorrow :)

Thanks!
Chris

On 7/21/2014 3:11 PM, Bill Farrow wrote:
> It is most likely AT&T blocking port 25 to prevent SPAM.
>
> Could you enable the SMTP server to listen on another port as well as
> 25 and get your co-worker to use the new port number instead.
>
> Bill

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services