[TriLUG] troubleshooting spotty internet connectivity with TWCBC

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Wed Jul 23 07:29:28 EDT 2014

I have an account manager for my TWBC. I also have a TWBC hotline number I call
which can be faster than the residential number. If the support folks are not
doing the job I need them to, I contact the account manager. I usually get a
competent person to talk to quite soon and they call me so I do not have to go
through the VRU BS. I never ever bother with 1st level support. I always ask for
3rd level to start. If they refuse I ask for a manager. I always ALWAYS refuse
to reboot or connect my computer directly. I sometimes have to get nasty or trot
out my arrogant attitude  - oh, wait I really am arrogant ;-) - and eventually
they break down and give me what we need to resolve the problem.

If you or they do not know who their account manager is, call TWBC marketing and
find out. There seems to be a turnover every couple years for mine, but I
probably would not want to be my account manager longer than that either.

One example:

I run my business out of my home. I had just terminated my TWC residential
phone, TV and Internet service. The residential guy came out to the pedestal in
front of my house and put a filter on the cable that blocked everything
including my Business Class Internet. I did not bother contacting anyone else, I
went straight to my account manager and a Business Class guy was out within 15
minutes. He removed the 1st filter and installed a different one. He also
installed a large plastic flag on the filter that says something to the effect
of "TWBC service. Call xxx-xxx-xxxx before making any changes."

I am not a fan of TWBC or any other Internet provider. They are all monopolies
and they have little regulation any more. I have found it sometimes necessary to
threaten to contact my U.S. representative and the State of NC AG and Utilities
Commission. However with the advent of satellite they are desperate to keep
customers. Working the system can help a lot.