[TriLUG] how big and where is the GPT

Gregory Woodbury redwolfe at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 22:33:28 EDT 2014

To answer the original question:
GPT keeps a backup of the tables at the end of the disk as well as at the
front.  When looking at a disk the (U)EFI code looks at the back of the
disk first and presumes that something has corrupted the front copy if it
finds a valid GPT table at the end. There is also a "protective" MBR entry
on GPT disks with more GPT stuff along the way.

Using gptfdisk on the device is the easiest way to wipe the GPT tables.
 Tell the gdisk program to install a new MBR style disklabel.
Then write it.  After that, the GPT tables are gone, and our old way of
doing things works as expected.  You can try writing 4Gb at the end of the
disk as well, that might get all the cruft gone.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury