[TriLUG] WiFi quality monitoring

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Thu Aug 14 18:51:26 EDT 2014

Thanks, very informative. I've put the old antennas back on. Have not yet
turned down transmit power (the house is large, upstairs gets poor
reception; I will eventually put a separate AP up there). So far so good,
the iperf tests have gotten slightly faster and I don't see intermittent
ping issues (where ping time goes up to 200-300ms randomly). The slowdowns
and packet loss are more sporadic, so I'll have to see how it it during the
day tomorrow.

I measured signal strength and did an iperf test right next to the router,
and then outside where an outside wall was between the laptop and the
router. Here are the stats:

Inside:

 - RSSI: -55 dBm
 - Noise: -91 dBm
 - Quality: ~ 40
 - iperf ~ 85 Mbps

Outside:

 - RSSI: -60 dBm
 - Noise: -91 dBm
 - Quality: ~ 33
 - iperf ~ 75 Mbps

My guess is that there is no metal in the walls aside from wires and screws.

I will send a message tomorrow whether putting the old antennas back on
fixed the issue or made no difference. Thanks for all the help!

Igor