[TriLUG] No-clean flux?

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Tue Aug 26 13:01:32 EDT 2014

Give these guys a call: http://www.circuittechnology.com/pcbequipment.htm

If they don't have any themselves, last I talked to them they worked with
a local (Raleigh) distributor that I had bought some no clean (and also
RA) flux from them for reflow soldering.  I can't recall the name of the
distributor, however.

The flux will 'activate' when heated sufficiently. If you don't activate
it, it will remain active and corrosive. In order to get the solder to
reflow, you will need to get it to about 400F (depends upon the alloy) and
hold it there for a few minutes.  Getting the big parts, any any attached
to a heat sink to heat up sufficiently will be the challenge.  Once it
melts, surface tension should hold everything and automatically align the
parts.  Once it cools, theoretically, any cracked joints should be good to
go.

The guys at CTI (above link) might even have some suggestions for you.