[TriLUG] NAT (?) issue - w/ports that use encryption

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Aug 29 13:09:56 EDT 2014

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014, Paul G. Szabady wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I just installed a new U-verse modem/router

I haven't a clue, so I'm going to suggest some standard sanity points.

o put your modem into bridge mode, so that it's just a protocol converter (ISP
<-> ethernet). It will be in the menu somewhere, but it may be hard to find.
Just be persistent. That way, no matter what modem you ever have, you'll never
have to figure out how to reconfigure it. (Make sure you write down how to
access the modem once you've put it into bridge mode. Masking tape and marker
pen on the body of the modem is a good way to record this info.)

o put a standard linux router on the inside side of your modem. Configure it any
way you want. If you don't have anything better, a wap (eg wrt54g) running
openwrt is a good start. If you have to buy a wap, then get one with 128-256M
memory (or whatever is the most memory you can get nowadays) and with "a" and
"g" bands.

o use your old modem while you're setting up the new modem with your linux
router.

If you want to solve the problem you posted...

I assume you are DNAT'ing external clients to a 443 server on the inside. Do you
have a rule for this on the modem (it may be called a "game port")?

Joe