[TriLUG] OFF-TOPIC - microwave radiation

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Wed Sep 10 14:18:30 EDT 2014

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:36:21 -0400, Roger W. Broseus <rogerb at bronord.com>
wrote:

> Some of the methods recommended on the link for checking for leakage,
> most notably the fluorescent light method, are totally unreliable for
> measuring signal strength. This is a complex job for which sophisticated
> measuring devices are needed.
>
> Go with the suggestions to minimize interference from the minor leakage
> that is likely causing the problems.

Fluorescent light works fine for ham radio work when trying to look at
(not measure) the radiation from a dipole antenna, at least for A1
transmission around 50 MHz. I have also used the same method for A0
transmissions, which I probably shouldn't mention, but I think the statute
of limitations has expired.