[TriLUG] Far, far OT: Thin-wall bushings

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Sep 11 13:58:03 EDT 2014

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014, Brian wrote:

> I found this:
>
> http://www.amazonsupply.com/dp/B004XN9N12?ref_=sr_1_1_txt&filterBy.item_diameter_derived=0.25+inches&filterBy.inside_diameter_derived=0.23+inches

glad you got onto this. I don't know why Small Parts in FL doesn't have a better
web presence. 10yrs ago they always had everything I needed.

> which may fit the bill if the 30-gauge sheet doesn't do the trick.

I expect you'll have trouble rolling this into a cylinder - you'll have a pucker
at the join.

Instead how about cutting it into strips (say three for a start) and gluing the
strips to the wall of the bore hole (or to the shaft). Cutting metal into strips
is a bit of a problem; the strips always curl.

I assume the extra metal you're adding is going to rub against the bore hole. In
this case, you're going to need some lubrication. I expect oil will do it.
However, McMaster-Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sheets-%28made-with-teflon-ptfe%29/=tog1dg

has teflon sheet 0.02" and 0.015" thick

Thick.	Thick. Tolerance	 	Each
6" 6"
0.015"	+0.002", -0.002"	8711K91	$7.81
0.020"	+0.002", -0.002"	8711K92	8.59

that are adhesive ready (white/smooth on one side, grey/rough on the other side
- I haven't glued any of this stuff, so don't know how easy it is to glue -
presumably you could start with cyanoacrylic resin).

If you cut this into strips and lined the bore hole, you would get automatic
lubrication.

Joe