[TriLUG] Far, far OT: Thin-wall bushings

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Sep 11 14:48:12 EDT 2014

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014, Brian Henning wrote:

> Joe,
>
> That's a wealth of great information that I will surely keep in mind.  In this
> case, though, the gear is fixed to the shaft, so lubrication isn't an issue.
> It's a D-shaft on the motor, and the worm has a set-screw, so if the bushing
> doesn't go quite all the way round, I think it will still be ok.  We shall
> see!

I can't exactly visualise the setup, except that you need the liner to stop the
shaft from moving sideways. Anyhow I'm just letting you know what's around in
case it gives you ideas.

Does heat shrink tubing do what you want?

Here's teflon heat shrink

http://www.markelcorporation.com/heat-shrink-tubing/ptfe-heat-shrink-tubing-sizes.html

teflon heat shrink is thick compared to what you want, even the thin walled
stuff. I've used this. If you want the heat shrink teflon to grip the shaft, the
shaft has to be HOT otherwise the heat shrink will be cold where it touches the
shaft and it won't contract and you'll have a loose fitting piece of heat shrink
around the shaft.

Even regular (non-teflon) heat shrink is thicker than you want, eg

http://www.heatshrink.com/heat_shrink_tubing/f4_z_spl.asp

Joe