[TriLUG] OT: what is this cable?

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com
Mon Oct 13 08:10:42 EDT 2014

On 10/13/2014 01:37 AM, David Burton wrote:
> I rototilled my yard and planted grass. But right beside the curb I
> accidentally dug up the end of an odd electrical cable. It looks like it
> probably goes under my driveway.

Hi David,

Depending on the age of your house, you might not have to worry.  Ours
was built in the early nineties.  We had our pipes and wires marked when
we needed to have some wells put in a few years ago.  They marked six
different telecom/cable lines coming to the house, although only two of
them were active.  The rest were from previous installs.

At a time when people are stealing copper, there seems to be a lot of
the stuff going to waste in our yards.  From the evidence, it looks like
it's fairly common for the phone or cable company to run another line
from the curb to the house when you sign up for service.

I don't think they'd have put one under your driveway unless there's no
easier way to route it though.  At our previous residence, they ran a
wire around two sides of our front yard and behind the house in order to
keep from having to snorkel it under that.

   Scott

--
Scott Chilcote
scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com