[TriLUG] OT: what is this cable?

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 10:07:37 EDT 2014

Thanks, everybody!  I'm using TWC Internet which still works, and I have an
AT&T POTS line which still works, and the power hasn't gone out, so I don't
think I disrupted any active service.

My house was built in 1983. I'm at the tail end of a cul de sac. TWC pulled
fiber through the neighborhood a decade or more ago, ending the fiber run
across the main road from the other end of my cul de sac, only about 0.1mi
from my house (so I have excellent signal quality).

I just went out and took a closer look at that cut cable end.

I tried to peel back the insulation on the small wires, and discovered
there wasn't any! They're just bare aluminum.  I hadn't realized that.

I peeled back the black plastic insulation on the thick center wire, and
it's not coax or a bundle of small wires, it's just solid aluminum. It
looks like about 10 gauge.

Here's a picture:
http://www.burtonsys.com/mystery_cable/20141013_092027_annotated_cropped.jpg

Dave