[TriLUG] [way OT] new auto recommendations (fwd)

Wes Garrison wes at xitechusa.com
Fri Oct 17 15:57:52 EDT 2014

Diesel, Diesel, Diesel!

I can't recommend enough how great modern diesel cars are.

Forget what you remember from the '70s and '80s.  My 2000 VW Golf TDI gets
OVER 60mpg hwy. (when I keep it under 70 :) ).

Definitely take a look at the VW Golf TDI and the Chevy Cruze Diesel
(gasp!).

Both are turbocharged (so they're fun) diesels that are quiet, don't smoke
and get well over 40mpg.  The Golf comes with a 6-spd manual or a DSG
(which is a great automatic; no crappy slushboxes!)

Also, don't forget that we have Piedmont Biofuels
<http://www.biofuels.coop/fuels/distribution/buy-fuel> right here in
Pittsboro.  You can fill up with 100% Bio (80% in winter) at the Carrboro
Public Works, at Larry's Beans in Raleigh, a pump in Burlington and
Wilmington.  Fuel meets ATSM quality standards.

You absolutely need a great indy mechanic.  Dealerships are called
"stealorships" for a reason.

You can't do better than Tioga at Automotive Solutions at White Cross (near
Carrboro) and Evan at Absolute Automotive
<http://www.absoluteautomotive.com/> in Durham.

-Wes

Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer